If you are new to marathon running then you need at least a year of practice before you go for an actual one. Along with your training, you will get healthier and fitter and also will develop as an individual. The more you train the better are your chances of conquering the race. Marathon running can bring in a huge change in your life and also your lifestyle. It makes you change your diet, your habits, and your life completely. It is also important to have proper support from your family and friends during the whole period. Here we look at some of the tips which will help you with your marathon running.
The More Important Tips For Your Marathon Running
- Once you start training it is better to maintain a log of your daily routine. You should take notes of your run times, the distance that you were able to cover, and other details. This will help you in analyzing your performance and your growth. It can get difficult to remember all this, later on, this is why it is important to keep a log.
- It is also important to increase the intensity of your training every week. Make sure that you do not increase it by more than 10 percent. This helps you in gradually increasing your intensity and endurance and also reduces the risk of any injury.
- `After every three to four weeks make sure that you relax a little and reduce the intensity of your training. In marathon running this is extremely important as an easy week will give your body the proper rest which it requires.
- You have to make it a routine to run for 3 to 4 days every week. Make sure that one day you go for a long run and on the other days you should go for a shorter run. The long-run will test your endurance and stamina. And the shorter run will help in building your speed and strength. To increase your strength you can also start running on slopes.
What Else Should You Do?
- Make sure that you keep an easy training day followed by a hard training day. It is important to let your body recover from all the pain which you go through on the previous day.
- Make sure that you take at least a single day off during the week. This will provide your body with the much-needed rest and will help in recovering. And if you are just thinking of starting marathon running you can take a break of two days too.
- When you are training for a marathon it is important that you also go for cross-training. You can go for activities like swimming, cycling, running, and even rowing. They will help you in keeping your interest level high in the training.
- You should also add muscle training in your daily regime. You can do weight training for the growth of your muscles. You can also choose to go for yoga classes or join Pilate’s classes.
- It is important to know when your body gets tired and when can you push the limit. If you are feeling tired you must let your body rest. Do not hesitate to take day-offs.